Full-Time / Posted June 8, 2021
Title: Prop Artisan
Position type: Full Time; Seasonal; Non-Exempt
Pay range: $15.50/hour; $620.00/week
Location: Cleveland, OH
Desired Start Date: August 23, 2021
End Date: May 6th, 2022
Work hours/Schedule: Shop hours are 8:00-4:30 weekdays, occasional overtime and weekend hours
Cleveland Play House (CPH) is seeking a Prop Artisan to join the production department. This position will be responsible for sourcing, crafting, and altering a wide range of items for our Mainstage, Education and Special Event Productions.
- Creating, repairing, and altering a wide range of props including but not limited to upholstery, painting, paper props, small electronics, floral, and multi-material projects
- Building props from draftings, working drawings and reference images, including making material lists and identifying suitable methods for the project
- Shopping for a wide range of items, both online and locally
- Maintaining the prop shops soft goods and craft areas and managing material supplies
- Packing vehicles, transporting props, and loading props in and out of the rehearsal hall and theatre spaces
- Working as a team with the other members of the prop shop, and helping out with other prop projects as needed
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in the Cleveland Play House Handbook.
- Professionally represent Cleveland Play House to outside personnel including visiting artists, and patrons.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
- Attend and participate in all assigned staff training sessions, department meetings, show-specific trainings and potential committee or affinity groups within the organization.
Relevant experience: Any hands-on experience working with a wide range of materials and items. Working in a fast-paced environment with hard deadlines.
Required skills: Sewing and upholstery; molding and casting; painting and staining; multi-material crafting; knowledge of a wide range of craft and art products; electronics and wiring; Photoshop or similar program; ability to be an independent worker and problem-solver; ability to communicate and collaborate with a team
Desired skills: Woodworking and metalworking skills a plus, ability to work on ladders and at heights, ability to drive and dock a 16” box truck
- Health insurance, to which CPH contributes 85% of the employee’s premium
- (Health insurance available for employee’s family at employee cost)
- Life insurance
- 7 vacation days (paid out at end of engagement), 6 paid-time off days, up to 7 company holidays, and 2 discretionary holidays
- Optional enrollment in a 401(k) plan (not matched by CPH)
- Parking available at employee cost
To apply, interested applicants should upload a cover letter, resume, and two references as a single PDF below.
Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. Candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly by CPH for additional follow-up.
Cleveland Play House is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Cleveland Play House is on a journey to becoming an anti-racist organization that actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion.