Apprenticeships / Posted December 22, 2017
Supervisors: General Manager and Company Manager
Description: The Administration department at Cleveland Play House comprises general management, finance and human resources, company management and operations management. This department oversees all aspects related to budget, billing, benefits, and organizational policy, as well as the needs of CPH staff, guest artists, productions and events. This department is the integral conduit between our vendors, affiliates, and our partners, Playhouse Square and Cleveland State University. The department works closely with all other areas of the company to maintain professional and personal relationships with artists and stakeholders.
Responsibilities: Each facet of the department is primarily responsible for its given area, but we often have to collaborate with each other and work together. Consequently, apprentices in this department will be expected to work closely with all staff in the department as well as each other. Responsibilities of the General and Company Management apprentice may include:
- Assist with artist relations, including travel arrangements, ground transportation, local housing for guest artists, housing for staff travel, and vehicle rentals
- Maintain close in-person contact with all CPH guest artists
- Manage communication materials for visiting artist
- Act as liaison for visiting artists and guests for any itinerary changes, housing or rental car needs
- Assisting with any personal/hospitality issues, concerns or emergencies for visiting artists
- Maintain working relationships with vendors (airlines, housing, parking garage, rental car providers)
- Manage and track all department finances and work with finance department to insure invoices are properly reported, recorded and reconciled
General Management (Business Office):
- Assist in the maintenance of a comprehensive finance office policies manual.
- Learn basic operations using QuickBooks accounting program
- Research problem invoices and account coding issues
- Assist with ongoing operational projections and the creation of internal reports
- Assist in compiling financial and attendance data for use in fundraising proposals, industry surveys, etc.
- Work with insurance agents to ensure we have cost-effective insurance providers and proper coverage
- Research best-practices in HR policies as well as HR law
- Assist with ongoing adjustments to the employee handbook and benefits manual
- Assist in updating internal forms and new-hire packets
- Work with new hires to enroll them in company health insurance and to answer questions
- Work with the safety committee to develop, implement, and monitor an internal safety program
- Assist in updating and maintaining accurate employee records
- Discover ways to reward employees for exemplary performance
- Attend Finance Committee meetings and take notes when appropriate
Requirements: Candidate should be a team player and be willing to help with unexpected needs as they arise. Candidate should have flexibility to work evenings/weekends as needed. Candidate should exhibit the following characteristics: ability to work independently and under tight timelines, a high level of organization and attention to detail, a high comfort level when interacting with a wide range of staff and guest artists, the ability to maintain a professional attitude under pressure. Discretion is essential. Must be highly PC-literate and proficient in the MS Office suite, and ready to become familiar with accounting software and database software.