Full-Time / Posted June 1, 2021
Position type: Full-Time; Seasonal; Non-Exempt
Pay range: $15.23/hour
Location: Cleveland, OH
Desired Start Date: September 6, 2021
End Date: May 27th, 2022
Work Schedule: Primarily evening/weekend Tuesday through Sunday depending on show schedule. During non-tech/performance weeks, the Full Season Stage Crew position will be assigned to other Production Departments to learn additional skills needed for backstage work
Cleveland Play House (CPH) is seeking a Full Season Stage Crew to join the production team for the 2021-22 season. The Full Season Stage Crew will primarily work on CPH shows in various backstage roles depending on the needs of the show. This may include Stage Crew, Wardrobe, Sound, Lighting, Projections. When shows are not happening during the season the Full Season Stage Crew will work with CPH Production Departments to learn additional backstage skills.
- Assist with load-in and strike of production elements.
- Attend each tech rehearsal and performance of show.
- Work with Stage Carp and Stage Crew on proper methods to move and fly scenery.
- Work with Stage Management staff to develop shift plots for moving scenery and props during the performance.
- Make sure stage and backstage areas are swept, mopped and cleaned before each rehearsal and performance.
- Keep paperwork up to date by writing down any changes to preset lists or run list. Update paperwork during techs. Provide Stage Management staff with updated copy of paperwork.
- Assist with the daily post show clean up.
- Notify Stage Carpenter of any broken scenery or props. Repair and maintain scenery and emergency repairs for props during the run of the show.
- Work with Costume Shop, Stage Management, and Production Management to setup Dressing Rooms prior to start of Tech
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in the Cleveland Play House Handbook.
- Professionally represent Cleveland Play House to outside personnel including visiting artists, and patrons.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
- Attend and participate in all assigned staff training sessions, department meetings, show-specific trainings and potential committee or affinity groups within the organization.
Relevant experience: Previous Run Crew Experience; Wardrobe; Sound; Lighting; Projections; Experience staying alert and focused during long periods of inactivity;
Required skills: Good eyesight in low light situations; Capacity to solve problems and engage in creative thinking about challenges; Ability to brainstorm ideas in a group setting; Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Desired skills: general knowledge of theatre practices; ability to work from ladders and personnel lifts; ability to easily lift and move up to 35lbs.
- Health insurance, to which CPH contributes 85% of the employee’s premium
- (Health insurance available for employee’s family at employee cost)
- Life insurance
- 7 vacation days (paid out at end of engagement), 6 paid-time off days, up to 7 company holidays, and 2 discretionary holidays
- Optional enrollment in a 401(k) plan (not matched by CPH)
- Parking available at employee cost
To apply, interested applicants should upload a cover letter, resume, and two references as a single PDF below.
Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. Candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly by CPH for additional follow-up.
Cleveland Play House is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Cleveland Play House is on a journey to becoming an anti-racist organization that actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion.