Full-Time / Posted June 1, 2021
Position type: Full-Time; Year Round
Salary range: $37,000-$41,000
Location: Cleveland, OH
Desired Start Date: August 2, 2021
Work Schedule: This position will have a schedule that will fluctuate. It will included certain weeks within the window of Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30a.m.-5:00 p.m. and also occasional night/weekend shifts to support the tech/preview process connected to productions.
Cleveland Play House (CPH) is seeking an Associate Technical Director to join the production team for the 2021-22 season.
- Represent Scenic specifically, and the Production Department generally, throughout the production process
- Estimate materials and labor costs from designer’s preliminary drawings. Refine estimates with final drawings.
- Communicate with Designer to accurately execute designs and maintain a high artistic standard while keeping show within budget.
- Create construction drawings from designer plates.
- Purchase materials, tools and equipment necessary for the construction of scenery.
- Coordinate and manage the construction of scenery.
- Communicate with Stage Manager and Designer about rehearsal and tech notes.
- Coordinate with other departments taking into consideration their time schedules to ensure an efficient and cost effective construction schedule, load in, tech notes, and load out.
- Provide timely and up to date reports tracking all expenses.
- Oversee all aspects of scenery installation making sure it is loaded-in efficiently and accurately maintaining the designers vision
- Train run crew in proper methods of moving, storing and maintaining scenery.
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in the Cleveland Play House Handbook.
- Professionally represent Cleveland Play House to outside personnel including visiting artists, and patrons.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
- Attend and participate in all assigned staff training sessions, department meetings, show-specific trainings and potential committee or affinity groups within the organization
Relevant experience: Carpentry, Props, or Production Management; Construction; Engineering, Rigging,
Required skills: Knowledge of scenic construction techniques and materials; Experience with computer aided drafting with Vectorworks or AutoCAD; attention to detail; creative thinking and problem solving; ability to summarize complex ideas; collaboration; time management; Capacity to solve problems and engage in creative thinking about challenges; Ability to brainstorm ideas in a group setting; Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Desired skills: general knowledge of theatre practices; Working knowledge of welding and welding techniques; Knowledge of pneumatics; Knowledge of motion control construction and operation, use of Creative Connors controls; Knowledge of stage rigging and techniques.
- Health insurance, to which CPH contributes 85% of the employee’s premium
- (Health insurance available for employee’s family at employee cost)
- Employee life and long-term disability insurance
- 10 vacation days, 9 paid-time off days, 7 company holidays, and 2 discretionary holidays
- Optional enrollment in a 401(k) plan (not matched by CPH)
- Parking available at employee cost
To apply, interested applicants should upload a cover letter, resume, and two references as a single PDF below.
Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. Candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly by CPH for additional follow-up.
Cleveland Play House is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Cleveland Play House is on a journey to becoming an anti-racist organization that actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion.